Employment Authorization

While Students on F1 visas may be allowed to seek employment in order to obtain practical training in their areas of study, they are required to first obtain authorization from the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) before accepting employment. Students on F1 visas are therefore encouraged to contact the International Affairs Office in their school or the USCIS for assistance on obtaining employment authorization.

Reinstatement to F-1 Status

Students on F1 visas may fall out of status for several reasons including; engaging in unauthorized employment, not taking the required number of credits, allowing the I-20 to expire or failing to follow proper transfer procedures when transferring from one school to another. In order to avoid unnecessary disruption of their studies, students are encouraged to adhere to regulations and to keep themselves updated on all requirements to enable them maintain the F1 status.

Kenya Government Partial Scholarship

Please note that the Ministry of Higher Education, Science and Technology will no longer be providing partial bursaries to students studying in foreign countries.
The Higher Education Loans Board (HELB), which is charged with this mandate, has communicated a change in policy with regard to education loans and bursaries as follows:

    1. Currently, HELB funds students in the East African Community region, and is in the process of sourcing for funds that will enable it extend similar loan facilities to Kenyan students studying abroad; and
    2. Once this is effected, Kenyan students studying abroad will be subjected to the same terms and conditions as those who attend local institutions of higher learning.

More details will be communicated once received.

Higher Education Loans Board